Georgia Walker’s ‘Cha Cha’ earrings are the perfect summer accessory! Hand-made in her Adelaide studio, Bowerbird had a chat to Georgia about how her journey started, her inspirations, and exciting new ‘Cha Cha’ range.
1. For those who don’t know, how would you describe your work?
My Cha Cha earring range is bold, bright and are the most fun your ears can have!
2. How did your journey begin? Who or what inspired you to begin in your field?
I actually started out working with silver in early 2015, with a series of work exploring ideas of text and texture. I moved into my tassel range at the end of 2016 as my obsession with fun and festive earrings exploded! My interest in the relationship between people and body adornment sparked during my undergraduate studies in anthropology, and continues to inspire me.
3. What’s a typical day like for you?
I’m part way through my Master of Curatorial and Museum Studies at Adelaide Uni, so at the moment I have one designated studio day a week. On a typical studio day I spend my time making and filling orders as well as working up new colours combinations and designs.
4. Which other designers are you looking forward to seeing at Bowerbird?
My sister hand makes the most beautiful candles in the Adelaide Hills and this November will be her Bowerbird debut where she is releasing two new summer fragrances, so I can’t wait to see Etikette Candles!
5. What’s your favourite piece of your own work that will be available at Bowerbird?
I’m really excited about my new range, which has a series of fun new colour combinations that I love! My favourite is the watermelon inspired Cha Cha’s featuring minty green, pinks and blue.
6. What advice would you give other aspiring artists and designers?
My advice for other aspiring artists and designers is to give everything a go, pat yourself on the back for achievements (no matter how small they are!) and get out there and meet other makers and designers.