Mim Gollan, from Bowerbird favourite Four Seeds, has shared her yummy recipe for Gingerbread shapes. Christmas snacks sorted!
150g brown sugar
30g grated ginger (4 tbl)
2.5 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tbl boiling water
- Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the grated ginger and molasses, beat until combined.
- Sift the flour and spices into a separate bowl.
- Add flour 1/3 of the flour mix to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Add ½ of the baking soda mix to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the flour and baking soda are all combined.
- Turn to mixture onto a bench and press into a ball, you may need some extra flour as it will be quite sticky.
- Wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into two balls and roll one part between two pieces of non-stick baking paper. Roll to about 5mm thick then use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes.
- Place the shapes onto a tray lined with non-stick baking paper and decorate.
- Repeat rolling and cutting until the mixture is used up.
- Place the biscuits in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes or until they start to brown at the edges.
- Allow the biscuits to cool on the tray as they will still be soft when they come out of the oven.